For decades the medical profession has been observing back pain to be common in society. Most noted victims of chronic back pain being our senior citizens. The annoyances of back pain cause distress and can also prevent people from their regular activities including their work schedule and play time with family. Back pain can be the most difficult and frustrating type of pain to treat for both patients and their doctors.
Here are some of the common causes of back pain:
1. Muscles strains are considered to be the most common.
2. A ruptured intervertebral disc, otherwise known as a herniated disc which can lead to discogenic back pain
3. Improper posture, heavy lifting, and repetitive motion can also cause back pain.
4. At the aging stage, the spinal cord is likely to get constricted which can cause back pain. This is known as Spinal Stenosis.
5. A person suffering from arthritis in the lumbar region is commonly subjected to back pain.
6. Due to generative changes, the adjacent vertebrae in the spinal cord can become unstable and start to slip, resulting in back pain. This is called spondylolisthesis.
7. Sometimes psychological issues like fear, anxiety, and depression too can add to discomfort and pain.
Types and treatments of back pain:
It can be classified into two categories.
1. Acute or short-term pain – Also known as lower back pain, the pain is probably due to the lower back trauma of some sort. Incurred sports or vehicular injuries may have been the root cause of this undesirable chronic back pain.
2. Chronic back pain: If the back pain persists for more than three months, it is considered to be chronic.
Here are some interesting facts about back pain:
* Through 1997 – 2001, the average days of work lost due to back injuries was 45.
* Around 30 to 40 percent of all workplace absences have been known to be due to back pain.
* Back strain accounts for 25% of all claims to the WCB.
* From 1997 – 2001 the WCB received 63,900 claims for the back strain from males and 26,800 claims for the back strain from females.
* More than two-thirds of back strains are caused by lifting and other exertions like pulling and pushing.
* Lower back pain accounts for two-thirds of all back pain related cases.
Victims need to consult a doctor if their back pain persists for more than 72 hours. Surgery is not a great solution at any time, sometimes pain relievers will lessen the pain followed by the consumption of anti-inflammatory medication. Certain exercises are also recommended to strengthen the muscles and to overcome back pain. But they should be practiced in the presence of a professional or else they might make the situation worse if practiced in the wrong way.
You Will Like This: Weight Loss Pills Are They Safe
If the pain spreads to legs, numbness in legs, rectal area and foot, development of nausea, fever, stomach pain and vomiting accompanied by back pain a person should immediately be reported to a doctor.
The key to proper treatment of chronic back pain is to understand the cause and take preventative and pro-active measures to eliminate the pain. Remember, pain is always a sign that something else is wrong and if continually ignored may lead to more serious harm.